Thursday, April 2, 2009

Shane - Mobile Marketing

Mobile Marketing has increased dramatically over the recent years. With the creation of the iPhone and other smart phone devices that display the Internet as it would on any computer, it has only become easier to invade cell phone space with paid advertisements. I used "Free 411" last year. Trying to avoid charges to my cell phone I thought I would take a few extra minutes, listen to the advertisements while I wait, and get the same thing I would from dialing 411 directly. That didn't exactly go as planned. Instead, my phone would constantly receive text message advertisements from this so-called "Free 411" which cost me money to receive since they are sent out of network. Never again will I be calling that number.
It is becoming a reality, however, that we are easily reachable via cellular devices. Since cell phones increasingly evolve into hand-held computers they are now being treated as such by advertisers. The biggest marketing ploy thus far is the iPhone Apps. Granted, most of the apps are pretty cool and, if I had an iPhone, I would have many of them. But many of the apps, just as computers do, have advertisements in the corners of the screen. The yellow pages, for example, or Google Maps, all have advertisements along with your search results. After all, if it looks and act like a computer, why wouldn't it be treated like one?

http://www.straightupsearch.com/archives/2009/03/mobile_apps_mar.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi all,

    Mobile marketing has to be incorporated and integrated into your marketing mix in order for it to be successful. It is the ultimate permission-based form of marketing. This marketing is not competing with other forms of advertising. In fact, it can work well in parallel with media, TV, press and radio advertising. Thanks...

    Text Marketing

    ReplyDelete